Butternut Squash and Coconut Curry Soup With Shrimp and Rice Noodles
- 2 teaspoons canola or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste, more to taste, if needed
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, about 4-5 cups
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, if needed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6-8 ounces brown or white rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a 4- to 5-quart pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot and rippling. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Take care not to let the garlic and ginger burn.
- Stir in the curry paste, sugar and salt and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the squash, broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Add additional broth during the cooking time if you want the soup more soupy and less thick.
- Stir in the shrimp and simmer just until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and add additional salt and/or pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately over cooked rice noodles with lime wedges for garnish.
All images and text ©.
Post By: Elena