Are you ready for some football, or at least some football food?
In preparation for this weekend's playoff games, Chef Chris Manning focuses on the home teams, both underdogs.
He makes Kansas City-inspired wings and muffalettas, sandwiches that hail from New Orleans.
Below are the recipes for a Kansas City rub and barbecue sauce and for an olive salad topping for the muffalettas.
You can pair all of this with Coyote Moon Vineyards' Twisted Sister.
Kansas City Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Combine the ingredients in a two-quart sauce pan and simmer on low heat for an hour.
Cool and use as a basting sauce for chicken or pork.
Kansas City Barbecue Rub
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Combine ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Store in a tight container for up to a month.
Use to rub on chicken or pork.
- 1 cup diced pitted ripe olives
- 1 cup diced stuffed green olives
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pepperocini
- 1/4 cup banana peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper relish
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Mix all ingredients. Use as topping for muffaletta sandwiches or toss with chilled pasta.